All About Teeth: Taking Care of Your Unique Smile
Your teeth are a big part of who you are. They are one of the first things people notice about you as you talk and smile. Teeth help you eat, properly pronounce words and present your best self to the world each and every day. For these and many other reasons, taking care of your teeth is vital for your appearance, confidence and overall health. While they play an important role in our lives, we often stop paying teeth much attention after the tooth fairy has collected our last “baby” teeth.
5 Fun Facts About Teeth
Here are a few fun facts you may not know about your teeth:
- They are strong – The outer layer or top surface of your teeth is known as enamel and it’s the strongest part of the entire human body. Despite being strong, enamel can become worn down or stained over time. Rinse with water after eating and brush and floss your teeth every day to keep them white and strong. If you notice stains making your smile dull, teeth whitening from your local Calgary dentist can help safely keep your enamel looking its best and brightest.
- There are four kinds – Humans have four types of teeth that they use to chew, tear and grind their food to make it easier to digest. Incisors, canines, premolars and molars make up the teeth in your mouth.
- Street dentists used to do procedures – Fear of the dentist is still a very common condition that people of all ages experience. Imagine how much scarier it would have been in the early 1800’s, when people would seek dental care for pain, usually in the form of extractions, from blacksmiths and barbers. Their dental office? Out on the street corner! They wouldn’t have custom dentures to replace that tooth, either. Suddenly the cushy dental chair, numbing agents and sanitary tools are sounding pretty good, right?
- Your teeth are unique – You know when they make a dental match on crime shows to identify a body? That is an effective method because your teeth are as unique as your fingerprint. Get to know your unique teeth by talking to your dentist about their qualities and vulnerabilities. Some people have stronger enamel, cavity-prone teeth or weaker gums. Understanding your own teeth will help you take better care of them, so ask about yours at your annual teeth cleaning.
- You only get two sets – Humans only get two sets of teeth, unlike toothed fish and many reptiles whose teeth are replaced continuously over the course of their lives. That means once your adult teeth grow in, you should take extra care of them to make them last. Unfortunately, we don’t always like the look of our teeth. Luckily, advances in cosmetic dentistry mean anyone can have a smile they are proud to take care of. Remember to brush and floss each and every day and visit your dentist for regularly scheduled appointments.
Visit Go Dental in Calgary to Take Care of Your Teeth
Let the team of dental professionals at Go Dental help you take care of your teeth! Schedule an appointment with one of our dentists in Calgary today. Call 403-407-2028 to book your appointment, or fill out our convenient online contact form and a team member from our office will contact you shortly.