7 Tips for Denture Care – From Your Local Denture Clinic in Calgary
Denture care can vary largely depending on the kind of denture you have. If you have a fixed bridge or dental implant, you would take care of it much in the same way as you care for your natural teeth. However, if you have a partial or full denture, you will have to follow a different maintenance routine. These tips will help you keep your dentures looking and feeling their best:
- Handle with care: Dentures should be handled carefully to avoid damage. Stand over a sink full of water or a folded towel to avoid damage if you drop them.
- Brush daily: Like natural teeth, dentures need to be brushed daily to remove food and build up, but you can’t use toothpaste, because it can damage the surface of the dentures. Instead, use a mild soap, or a special denture cleaning solution.
- Take them out every night: Be sure that you take out and clean your dentures every night, and use a toothbrush or soft rag wrapped around your finger to clean and massage your gums.
- Keep them soaking: Dentures must be kept moist when they are not being worn, to avoid having them dry out or lose their shape. Always soak them in a denture cleaning solution or in water when they are not being used.
- Check the fit: Keep in mind, your dentures may need to be adjusted over time to ensure a proper fit. If you live in Calgary, dentists who specialize in denture care, such as the team at Go Dental, can help keep your dentures fitting snugly and staying securely in place over time.
- Maintain good dental hygiene: Your dentures will not fit well over gums that are swollen, sore, or bleeding, and partial dentures will not fit well between teeth that are becoming loose. Individuals who have dentures can still get gum disease, so it is essential that you maintain good oral hygiene, even if you have these dental prosthetics.
- Get regular dental check ups: Be sure that you are visiting your dentist regularly for teeth cleanings and checkups. The dentist can help detect any early signs of gum disease or other problems, and maintain your dentures’ fit to avoid discomfort.
Go Dental is the premier denture clinic in Calgary. Call us at 403-407-2028 to learn more about denture care or to schedule an appointment with a general dentist in Calgary. We welcome new patients—please fill out this new patient form prior to your appointment. You can also book your appointment online for a consultation at our family dental clinic.